Gundam Wonderworld

This forum is to meant to serve as a hub to discuss any RPG ideas whether theoretical or not

Moderators: pinksoyuz, Kusuriurite, Strikey, DarenDF, Nomad, scarththegrim, Draco, kTravio

Thorpants

Gundam Wonderworld

Postby Thorpants » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Guys, I'm back. And as I had put on the Facebook page, I have a little more time- now with getting my degree and not having NEARLY as much life crushing stress on my shoulders- to work on the RP ideas I've had floating around.

So here's the deal:
A) I'm lazy. I won't lie. I've been through a good bit lately and I'm kinda tired- on top of doing a LOT of job searching.
B) I have LITERALLY no idea what I'm doing. I could overcome A if I could get past this. I'm not asking for people to (necessarily) take on the work. Google Docs has a suggestion feature that's HELLA useful and anyone who wants to just chime in suggestions is more than welcome to.

I'll also be checking out this thread a DAMN lot, mostly for interested contributors.

Here's the link to the design folder.

So is anyone in?

SakuraFanelia
Site Admin

Re: Gundam Wonderworld

Postby SakuraFanelia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:16 pm

You should come by the chat: irc.chatspike.net and #RPG is the chatroom. Or you can just use the chat page here: http://meridiaisland.com/community/chat/

Much more discussion can be had there.

scarththegrim
Officer

Postby scarththegrim » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 pm

TATARI

Postby TATARI » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:53 am

You want my honest opinion as a two-time successful RPG admin and as someone who's been involved in the community for probably 15 years? The day for PBEM RPGs is most likely over. You are unlikely to be able to attract more than a handful of people as most of the community has moved on to college and 9 to 5 jobs and doesn't really have time for this kinda thing anymore. In addition, with computers generally being more powerful than they used to be and translations easier to find, it's a lot easier than it used to be to find Gundam material (in watchable or game format) to slake one's thirst for that kind of thing.

That being said, if you still want to go ahead with this, here's some advice...

-It's not a bad idea to snag your own URL and webhosting for this kind of thing. I suggest Bounceweb but there are many services that are good for this sorta thing. Montly costs will vary, but if you're employed or otherwise have income (disability, selling drugs, petty theft, etc) it's usually not hugely expensive.
-A good RPG lives or dies by it's staff. You want at least two (preferably more) people who can help you update on any particular night of the week. The more people who can update, the better.
-Likewise, make sure you have plenty of writers BEFORE you start the RPG. Also make sure they can write decently, so you don't have to spend a lot of time checking battles for grammar and spelling errors. Or that they just don't write stupid shit all the time.
-Delegate. If you try to do everything yourself you will burn out.
-Construct the entire RPG in such a fashion that it is as easy as possible for the staff to edit and update. That usually means either a Wordpress blog hooked to a forum or an entirely forum-based RPG. You can do it the old fashioned way if you want and just use a straight HTML website, but Wordpress is vastly preferable because it is easy to customize for any needs neccesary and has a WYSIWYG editor, so advanced HTML knowledge is unneccesary. -Templates for battles, joining, etc on the appropriate pages are useful, as is a Yahoo account set up to filter things into appropriate folders. Bureaucracy is your friend!
-The more features and neat stuff you have, the harder it will be to balance stuff and the more work it will be to deal with it. Try to find a good balance here.
-If you have NPCs that actually do stuff, better have staff that can roleplay. Some of your players may expect this kind of thing.
-Anyone who updates the RPG must either not play in it, or keep their player a secret from the general populace. This inevitably leads to drama, especially if one of the updaters also ends up being one of the RPG tuffmen, regardless of how ethical they are. As the guy in charge, you DEFINITELY should not have a player character.
-Avoid the temptation to stick your oar into player drama. Sometimes the best thing to do is do nothing, and it will inevitably piss someone off. It's better to have players mad at each other than you. Players that are mad at each other fight more. Players that are mad at you tend to ragequit. This is something I've often had problems with myself to a greater or lesser degree. As an example, I made a bad habit of haranguing people on side boards in FI:NE, which no doubt contributed to the irritation of many.
-If players beg you for stupid shit, either say no and stick to it, or implement hilarious reversals of fortune. As an example of this (in FI:NE), local furry and once-a-month-bather Shiandra begged me for a Minerva class battleship in exchange for unspecified favors. I agreed, then let Draco know where it was going to spawn so he could instantly murder it, then paid him a million bux in game money. *brofist*
-Don't be afraid to remove people who are generally toxic or obnoxious or are otherwise intentionally stressful for you or other staff members to deal with. You arn't obligated to let in everyone under the sun.

Ketara

Postby Ketara » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:26 am

Berriks advice is, in general, pretty good.

My biggest follow-up would be that in his second to last point, the "no and stick with it" route is immeasurably preferable.

If you end up making a ruleset for a game and want specific feedback, feel free to email me.

Also hello from Myanmar.

MING

Postby MING » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:42 am

mutters about Ketara not adding an addendum of "Don't leave all the writing to Ming"

I mean, seriously... I think I'm responsible for at least three or four of your games shutting down.

Return to “RPG Workshop”