Miscellanea

You may talk about RPGs past and present here

Moderators: pinksoyuz, Kusuriurite, Strikey, DarenDF, Nomad, scarththegrim, Draco, kTravio

Marcus

Miscellanea

Postby Marcus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:52 am

Heya!

Before things spiral out of control with crazy file dumps and sentimental commentary, I want to take a second and thank Meridia Island for their work in preserving these games. Time being so precious these days, it means a lot that you’d devote such effort to safeguarding and promoting play-by-email RPGs. To speak nothing of the money required to maintain the site. So thank you all, and Ketara as well, for the Planetzebes predecessor.

I have a lot of old files that aren’t appropriate for the MI archives. Most are loose Word documents; update notes, battles, RP posts from forums long gone. Hoping to stop an endless cycle of losing and rediscovering, I recently consolidated them into an archive on my computer. Then I made a Google Drive. Not all of this stuff is really useful to anyone but me, but I thought it might be nice to share these things rather than leave them collecting dust.

Here’s what I’ve been able to find, so far. Being the nostalgic type, I’ll messy this post up with a little (lot of) context. Feel free to ignore that junk and go directly to the files you’re interested in, though. I’ve arranged them mostly in chronological order, from After Era to Requiem Echo.

If anyone else has old documents they’d like to share (be they battles, RP posts, or crazy fan art), you’re welcome to reply to this post with your own. Don’t know how many people still visit these forums, but I’d bet one or two would love to see your work from the old days. Just please take care to avoid uploading personal information or private chats.

Okay! Onto the files.

GML Archive

Prior to delving into RPGs, I thought I’d share my GML Notes. The document includes an introduction, so I won’t go too far into explanation. Back during Eternity, I mentioned these notes a few times, but don’t know if I ever shared the file. Due to its size, the link may take a few seconds to load.

The intention of gathering all this data was to start a Gundam fansite. Dyrik let me use the All Gundam name as homage, and Andrew helped me test it out a bit. School (read: drinking, indecorum) got in the way, but I have an old prototype lying around, from near the time of Future Imperfect.

After Era

Back during AE I didn't save much. After battles and events were updated for the night, I recycled the Word documents. Posterity wasn't really on my mind back then. We had around two hundred members during its peak, with battles and events numbering in the twenties on some updates, so there was a lot written over its run. The only compositions I have involve Marcus's Revolt, dated around the time Turn A ran. A cringe-worthy prologue involving Epyon Dios, and a (very) incomplete team list I was using to place where the major players were during that event. The cringe worthiness is fun for a good laugh, at least!

Viktor sent me some information on Gaia Gear during AE, including rundowns of the suits and weapons that appeared in that novel. It was awesome, because we all seriously knew nothing about Gundam back then. Nothing. If Aku told me a Dom could go Trans-Am nine years before Trans-Am was a thing, I’d have believed him. Aku rocked.

This isn’t really from After Era, but Tural sent me an After Era/All Gundam quiz Marlon made at some point. I read through it before uploading, and didn’t do so hot.

Trial by Fire RPG

Vladimir was a lot of help when designing the Turn A shop. He may have actually designed it himself, but I can't remember. Chances are he presented me with something, I switched it around a lot, and then he went on a five page IM rant about me defacing the majesty of his perfect mobile solution (while I sat back chuckling, and tried to figure out if he was a real person or not). He's awesome. ANYWAYS, I remember him sending me this shop file, I think when I questioned how good pillbox turrets were against flying Gundams. The details on the document show it was from an RPG called Trial By Fire. I recognize the name, but I don't think it's in Meridia Island's archives.

Turn A

The majority of old stuff I have is from Turn A. In early 2002 I created a CD with all my RPG files, and then it got buried in boxes at my parents' house for the better part of ten years. In addition to battles and events, there're notes and various potpourri from the RPG's short lifespan. I released this awhile back, in a .zip file. Most of the stuff that isn't battles and events was written under the influence of hot chocolate. I don't know how that explains the Newtype monkey that piloted a Ball, but God bless Jojo.

Updates
* For anyone curious, bolded battles are ones I assigned out to writers.

Battles

Events

FFA

Then there's this big fella. I honestly don't remember why it was called The Circle. Maybe because Archibald was bringing the solar system around to the same point his father left it? Either that or I was sixteen and read some poem or saw some music video that, really, just spoke to me about the way the world is, you all. I made it through one or two updates after this one, but it effectively ended Turn A.

As an interlude to The Circle, Thomas wrote an SNL parody. This was somehow not the point at which things jumped the shark. I also remember a Gundam Survivor from (I think) back in After Era that was probably his handiwork. Thomas is a warm gum.

Here are a few random page files. Don't know if these were pre- or post-The Circle "redesign". Bases, fleets, shop, rules (different from the one on Meridia Island, I think) and I guess at some point we ranked the Newtypes in After Era history? Tural made up a whole Chibi Neo Newtype conspiracy for the AE timeline, which was really cool. I recognize Vincient Mariko from that.

Ketara was a Gundam Fighter in Turn A, and our mutual admiration for G Gundam led us to institute a completely unnecessary and overly complicated Gundam Fight society into After Era. Completely unnecessary and overly complicated things are the best things ever. Ketara wrote up all the backgrounds for the AE-universe's Shuffle Domain.

Technical files for some of the custom suits and upgrades in the game. Lot of these were .txt documents, so I don't one hundred percent know who did what work here. Thomas made Rafflesia Executioner, and I know Berrik did Death Doga. Ketara worked on the large upgrade paths file. I'm sure Aku and Vladimir were involved in some way, as well. I couldn't tell you if even half the specs associated with some of these designs are accurate, but it was really neat at the time.

Lastly, the timeline. Thomas once likened it to a B-movie plot, and that still makes me smile. Over time I fluffed it out a bit, so the early sections weren't all "Marcus sees this" and "Marcus goes here". Instead of evolving from the Universal Century, After Era followed the Correct Century. Tural's Chibi Neo Newtypes and the Gundam Fight were fleshed out. Lot more member contributions. At some point we explained away Ci-Lain always being the same character by making him D.O.M.E. Plus, y'know, Oblivion happened. But this was the original, in all its hokey glory. If anyone actually reads it, I'd recommend skipping to the Marcus's Revolt section. That has a lot of throwbacks to After Era, which help offset the eye-rolling.

Super lastly! Pictures. I think Renee did these, but I throw "I think" around an awful lot in this post, so if I'm miss-attributing I'm very sorry. Whoever did them, we'll call them Renee. And Renee did a fantastic job reworking the colors on certain story-based mobile weapons.

Mobile Suit Gundam After Era's Legacy: Wings of the Bird of Fire

Marlon wrote an After Era fanfic around the time of Turn A. He and I would chat in between me working on the After Era timeline, and I think this came about as a result of those discussions. <emo> aside, I don't know if, as a sixteen-year-old kid, I possessed an emotional capacity equal to the task of appreciating how awesome this is. So, rediscovering Wings of the Bird of Fire, a decade removed from being an idiot teenager (and firmly entrenched in being an idiot adult), I can't help but be a little flattered and a whole lot appreciative. Seeing the names Akio Okawara and Joshua pop up, even if they’re different characters... them's some big feels.

Final Fantasy VII – Prelude

I wanted to do a Final Fantasy VII RPG shortly after Turn A closed. Ketara, Jon Vitz and I worked on the rules during a series of late-night chat sessions. There was a site at one point, but the background MIDI tanked Ketara's browser :(. These are some snippets from the rules we were writing.

Star Wars Rebellion

Around the same time as Final Fantasy VII Prelude, Ci and I discussed doing a Star Wars RPG together. Not a lot leftover, but skimming over this brief document about pilots, guessing it was influenced by the old tabletop game.

Signs of Gehenna

Oh! Dyrik's World of Darkness was called Signs of Gehenna. At least in one of its two runs. I'm pretty sure the first one! Don't know if that's relevant to the main site's archives, b--but... it was! This is my profile, and my collection of RP posts from the first game. Gylkengaine and I fought on a dock. It was the original Cleganebowl.

Back in the day, people performed actions with bolds, thought with italics, and spoke using plain text. It was a weird world, kids. Just buying groceries was a mess of BBCode and post-9/11 hysteria.

Gundam Universe

Gundam Universe ran for two weeks, in February 2002. I only have two days of update notes and battles, since the CD containing all my old files was made during its run. This is the first RPG I ran under a different name than Marcus.

Updates

Battles

Oblivion

Oblivion is my favorite. I owe Anastasia, Jon, Viktor and Marlon for every last shred of it that’s been preserved. I owe the writers for being--without a semblance of doubt in my mind--the greatest collection of passion and talent these games had ever seen. For enduring demands that went far beyond reasonable. I owe the members for creating such engaging characters, and story lines, and for an enjoyable environment that drove me not only to relish, but value, each new update. There was a lot of stress, and anxiety masquerading as anger. Twelve years absent the experience, there are many things I wish I could go back and set right. But the time spent on Oblivion remains one of my fondest memories.

Anastasia's Archives

Marlon's Battles

Jon's Battles

The Tournament

I’ve said this before, elsewhere, on a few different occasions. I’ve tried to avoid it in this post, so I don’t bog down what’s already a bunch of nostalgic, superfluous exposition. But here, I’ll say it once, and then move on... There’s a reason so much of this stuff has to be posted here, and wasn’t saved by archive.org for Meridia Island. With apologies for my language, the reason is that I am a complete and utter fucking moron. A complete and utter fucking moron who grew up way too fast, and then not at all for years after. One who didn’t appreciate the scope of what we all crafted, in the After Era games. The choices I made back then, and the way I let anxiety, stress, and a tendency to withdraw into myself dictate so many of my actions and relationships with the community was unhealthy. I was young, sure, but I had a responsibility to the work everyone did on these games, and I fell far short of that responsibility. For deleting Turn A, Oblivion, and anything else -- I am so, so sorry. It’s a thought I come back to often, even being in a far better place these days, and the sting of that idiotic decision always hurts the most when I think back to Oblivion.

Vampire: Final Jyhad

Early in 2004, I was working on a modern-era vampire game. I concocted some amount of fiction for it, because I remember Marlon telling me that “Si” is not spelled “Ci” when I asked if he’d proofread one of the pages. This is not the medieval game I ran following Oblivion. I don’t remember too much else about Final Jyhad, beyond that I thought the name was dumb even then. Apparently I got pretty in depth with the rules.

Force Arcana

Force Arcana is my favorite PBE RPG I ever played. Gohan’s All Anime, Dyrik’s WoD games, and OYW V are close, unordered seconds, but Viktor’s little fantasy RPG takes the cake. These roleplays are zero use to anyone save me, but at least I can find it more easily in the future now. Viktor, sincerely, thank you.

Events that Viktor wrote. I don’t think these are still on the site.

The opening to an event, and a battle, which I wrote.

These are the histories from, I think, Force Arcana 2, which are no longer on the site.

This is a version of the site from its first run. It has the roster entries that lead to dead links on Meridia Island.

MSG Wars 3.0

I’m not 100% on if it was MSG Wars. Viktor, Tural and I joined one of Janadian’s RPGs as a pirate-themed trio, each taking a Crossbone. I was Roger Rackham in the X-3. Viktor was Captain Witchwood in the X-1, and Tural was James Griffon in the X-2. I don’t have Tural’s profile, but Viktor and I bounced ours off each other while trying to flesh them out.

Advent Song

Oi. Lots of scattered stuff for Advent Song. AS was my dream game, but it launched incomplete, and things spiraled out of control fast. Had life not intervened, I would have loved to give it another shot. A shot that, maybe, involved more sensible rules. And a functioning site. And less super-sly references to My Chemical Romance.

Updates

Battles

Events

Echoes of Angels

These were the prototype documents for the government pages. Tural did seriously amazing work with the stereotypes.

I think the rest of this stuff is mostly mechanics/background files. A few documents seem mostly complete, and others (Combat, Introduction) are fragments. I tend to write, start over, and rewrite things, until I like the way they look, so those fragments are probably from that process. They never made it to the live site. Tural, who was among many people helping on so many aspects of the site at the time, wrote the merits. Towards his work and that of everyone else -- I can’t express enough appreciation.

Chris made this image of a destroyed Earth, for the map page. I don’t know if Chris has ever shared his actual drawings with most of the community, but he’s flat-out incredible.

Naruto RPG

This was from one of Ketara’s Naruto RPGs. I was so excited about this character. I forget the whole concept, but I think I was going to do every roleplay from the perspective of a childhood friend stalking the actual character I was playing, tracking her as she lost herself in a mission of vengeance. Ketara said that a bunch of haikus weren’t a history. The nerve! Here is my terrible poetry, saved for all time on the Internet!

Eternity

Eternity is well preserved on Meridia Island. I think during One Year War, I gave Ketara the “master document” containing all of its battles and events, and he added that to the Battles page. Posting this stuff is slightly unnecessary, but for completion’s sake, and since I have the original files, I’ll go ahead with it. Eternity’s writers were Oblivion’s staff, plus Vladimir, and one or two new guys from MSG Wars and other communities. That’s like the 1992 Dream Team adding Lebron James and Yao Ming to their roster (no doubt in a time travel scenario that pits them against Robotic Stalin leading a team of Monstars in a battle for the soul of Korea). Viktor’s Maxter versus Spiegel on 4-19-07 is a thing of pure and absolute beauty. Like Advent Song, I got support above and beyond that which I was capable of paying back, and I can’t thank everyone enough for their work.

Updates

Battles

Events

Quiz

Vampire RPG

One of the things I hoped to make in apology for Eternity’s closing was a short vampire game people could enjoy while Advent Song 2.0’s complex systems were getting drawn up. It was based on the modern World of Darkness, and all players started off as vampires. Like AS 2.0, this never came about, but I have fragments leftover from the creation process.

Century Color

The time between Eternity and Future Imperfect is a blur in my life. Lots went on those two years; RPGs were on the backburner. So I hope I’m not misplacing this in my recollection. Andrew did a great job with Century Color. Per our talks I know he was stressed, but CC was a fantastic game that I, regrettably, didn’t have the time or energy to devote a proper character to. I started on a profile for Arkady Leonovich, though, and sent this to Andrew before he had to write my first battle.

Andrew has let me look at a lot of RPG-prototypes during our conversations over email. I won’t post any that didn’t go public, without his permission, but I do have a (very) few things from CC. There are two versions of the rules (one before, and one after Jon helped with edits), the shop’s ships, and I think a battle I wrote for the game.

Advent Song 2.0

Advent Song 2.0 got weird. Real weird. At one point, very early on, it got so weird it almost became Star Wars. It was a bad idea. Early in the process, I wrote this design document to get Ci and Jon’s opinion on where I was headed. They are the unfiltered thoughts of a madman. Later on, written encounters were dropped in favor of players combating one another in a MUD or MMO fashion. Actually having more than a sophomore’s education in Computer Science now, the scope makes me chuckle. AfterEra.com would eventually shut down, and with it most of the real work lost. I think that’s probably for the best. My hope was to do better by all those who joined and worked on the original Advent Song and Eternity, but this wasn’t the way.

Gundam Ascension

During the timeframe between Eternity and Future Imperfect, I wrote out an old school play-by-email rule set for fun. Never had any intention of making a site; just got bored during a blissful spot of downtime. Probably a subconscious response to the outlandishly crazy design document that had become Advent Song 2.0. The rules weren’t initially complete, but when Berrik asked for guidance in writing Future Imperfect’s, I finished them up with AE references. There’s also an upgrade path list I made, to see if I could find an elegant solution to the problem of Epyon murdering everyone early in a game.

Future Imperfect

Berrik had a banner competition when Future Imperfect launched. I took screenshots of each on the site, so Berrik could see which one he liked best. These were all Chris’s entries. I want to say number three won the contest?

The first three banners below were prototypes I used to help format the site, before Berrik realized it’d be a much saner idea to have a graphics artist handle the job. The last two were my contest entries. The first one, okay, sure. Unprofessional. The second, though? I think we can all agree a mistake in judgment at the highest levels occurred, and that history will show who the clear winner of that contest was.

At some point Berrik decided things needed to be in space, what with it being Gundam. So I helped out with a few bases. If I remember right, bases in Future Imperfect were elaborately designed structures with their own synopses. That was neat beans.

When Berrik asked me to help with Future Imperfect, he had two requests. First was design the site; second was write an FFA. Berrik has done so much to help my games over the years, of course I said yes. Unfortunately, as regards the FFA, nobody clued Berrik in on two natural laws. 1) In 2003, I lost any sense of what an appropriately scaled event should look like. 2) When I approach these games in any official capacity, the universe rips open a colostomy bag and waves it over my life until I repent for my sins and go quietly back into the night. Here’s the beginning of the FFA, the notes I made in preparation, and what I sent Andrew/Berrik when things finally collapsed under the gravity of aforementioned natural laws. Andrew’s pre-FFA shenanigans are included, and I hope they at least made it live, because Andrew’s got jokes.

This link is relevant to nine people, and it’s a crapshoot if any of the nine will both see this post and make it down this far. Nonetheless, treasures deserve a pedestal. Glad to see it’s still up and running, because Jesus Henry Christ, you guys! Chris, Andrew, Frenzy, Kuriboh, Daniel, Ci, Skytso, and Jeimuzu. You all were the greatest. I mean, aside from the time Kuriboh just had to play fast and loose with Rent, setting off a chain reaction that MURDERED THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF SOUTHEAST ASIA PLUS ONE PUPPY. Aside from that, you all were the greatest. And hey! Chris! We did die long before we made it to space! I promised you Deacon’s character would be kept intact!

These were some recolors Kuriboh did for Chris and Frenzy. Unfortunately Chris's custom jobs are leading to dead links right now :(.

OYW V

OYW is pretty well preserved, far as I can tell. I think people can even view the side forums without a password now. So I’ll just post these two images I found in my Photobucket. I-- I seriously have no clue.

Also! Ketara sent me this map from an Odessa battle in one of his earlier games, when he asked me to proofread the upcoming event’s rules. I wasn’t in any of the previous OYW games, so maybe this is readily available elsewhere, but just in case!

Marcus

Re: Miscellanea

Postby Marcus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:53 am

Requiem Echo

Either for Future Imperfect or Requiem Echo, I sent Nader some information on the GGA. The stuff Viktor gave me all the way back in After Era. Nader came up with this spec sheet.

By the time I helped with Requiem Echo’s site, my graphic editing prowess was unrivaled. This was the forums’ first banner. Now that it has returned, Pope Francis will retire next month, realizing his job has finished and a thousand years of peace are upon us.

By Night

In 2011, a buddy of mine who had moved away a few years earlier went through a really rough patch. I visited him for a few months, to help him and his family. He lived in a remote region of the south, that hadn’t learned about the Bush presidency. Dial-up was still a real thing there, and the only amusement within forty-five minutes was a pizzeria that devoted its walls to the local high school football team. Without much to do besides get drunk on moonshine and account for my buddy’s gun collection, I made this layout for a Vampire game. There’s a message on the front page I used to troll myself. It worked, because when I found this folder in June, I genuinely couldn’t remember if I had run a Gundam Serenity.

I also wrote out a few pages of rules, and took some notes for vampire-specifics.

What Wasn’t Written, and a Gift for Eld-o

There was one final project I entertained (in my head!) for awhile, just two-or-so years ago. Got a little wistful, and started plotting out an AE timeline-based series of miniature games. The first would be a traditional Gundam RPG, light on plot, set towards the end of the Correct Century. Wanted to wrap it up after three months, hopefully right when Daniel started to upgrade. Then a G Gundam-themed RPG, set directly after Oblivion -- during the ninth(?) AE Gundam Fight. One or two months. Then something based around Turn A, I can’t remember. After that a timeline jump to Advent Song, where I wanted to do it like OYW. Only three sides (Galilean Confederation, Lunar Empire, Drake’s Legacy) with set dates for events that’d keep the story moving forward. Hopefully three months long. Then I wanted to do an interlude message board game, that played out entirely in roleplays. Track everyone’s characters a year after the war ended, like Gundam SEED – Behind the Stars. Let that go on for a month or two. Finally, the second Marcus’s Revolt was going to be scenario-based, where everyone was on the same side (except Berrik, if he wanted to play – he was Marcus’s chief engineer, after all). I was hoping that’d wrap up about three or four months along. The entire thing I wanted to cram into a single year, with experience extending from one run to the next (obviously with appropriate catch up mechanics if new people joined the caravan along its route through space and time).

Not long into the thought process, I realized if I were going to consider the idea, I would need to watch Gundam. And that ended that :/. Not to mention life. About three weeks ago, I finally saw the Gundam 00 movie (was awesome), and then spent on and off nights watching AGE (was okay). Then I started on Reconguista (no, no, no, no, no), which led to me remembering about all my old files, which led to compiling said old files, which led us all here. Now. In this moment. The “all of us” that includes the singular person who will ever read far enough through Miscellanea to read this part. Congratulations, you!

Okay! I’ve already locked down the requisite super weird moments of heightened nostalgia. So to satisfy the other patented, cliché Marcus personality quirk, I need to be overly cryptic in an incredibly transparent way. Ideally coupled with a joke that no greater than two people will get -- myself included in the number.

Ketara, I have something for you. It’s nothing special, but if you’ve actually read this far down, it’s in your email. There’s a password on it, though. The password is what you would do if you didn’t remember the password. Super hard, I know. You’ll never guess it in a million years. It’s so hard I almost just put the file in this post, and dared people to try and guess it. But on the very off chance that they had guessed it, I would invariably have had to rue.

I have other files. Things like rules for an Elder Scrolls game Cid and Jesiah were working on, about four different rules for games Andrew was working on, songs and novels Marlon wrote, and a campaign/propaganda poster for something Vladimir ran for in high school or college. Those fall firmly in the personal category, but if their creators would like them or would like me to post them, please feel free to ask. I don’t check my old email accounts often anymore, but if someone needs to reach me, fire off an email to gafterera@gmail.com. I’ll try and visit that one, every once in awhile.

Going through all of this stuff, I noticed something I think is funny. One way to tell how young we all were back then? Documents created in Word keep the names of the program’s owner in their properties. I used that to help me attribute loose documents to certain writers. Almost every file, from After Era to Oblivion, came from programs registered to our mothers.

So that’s it... At least what I’ve got for now. I’m gonna fall into the sentimental trap again for a second, cause chances are it’ll be another long while before I delve this deep into the RPG past again :).

I was fifteen when I first found All Gundam, joined the Samothrace Antithesis when Sho sent me a random message board PM, became instant friends with Ci when he Timmied AG’s chat room, dropped a colony on James, spent every moment of downtime that Thanksgiving on my grandparents’ ancient computer to find more RPGs, used a decapitated Namek head to reenact the Wilson scenes from Castaway in Gohan’s All Anime (oh, and did stuff with Chris and Daniel, too ;), helped John (who would become Sandrock in After Era) make bases for his Gundam RPG, and eventually wound up starting After Era with a whole lot of support from Aku.

From my perspective, that was half a lifetime ago. Back during After Era, Jon Vitz and I made a pact that we’d kill each other if we were still playing these at age thirty. I guess we’re both safe, but thirty doesn’t feel near as old as it seemed back then. I hope these things continue on, in whatever form they’re capable. Play-by-emails were such an important, defining period in my life; I think that feeling is mutual in a lot of others. So if anyone’s looking to run an RPG now, or in the future, the only thing I can say is go for it =D. And that’s literally the only piece of advice you’ll ever need. You might spend fourteen hours a day, five days a week, slowly murdering your sanity... But go for it =D. Time heals, and being able to look at what you and your friends did amidst that insanity? It’s pretty great.

Thanks, guys and gals!

MING

Postby MING » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 pm

*tear for Mockingbird*

I don't even know if I want to try reading the Turn A battles and picking out which were mine... I think I have a folder stashed away somewhere with a lot of them still saved. One hell of an archive though.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:15 am

lol. For any of the battles written during Turn A (or After Era, for that matter) you could probably close your eyes, pick one at random, and be 80% confident that you or Vladimir wrote it. I remember one time, during AE, compiling the update's battle list and being immediately terrified. There were something like thirty-one that night. I logged onto IRC, saw you two were available, and realized things were going to be fine. You're amazing, Tian.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure the Crossbone battle from Oblivion was written by you. Anastasia gave it to me, but it was from your computer. I wasn't sure if you had just saved it for some other reason, though, so didn't want to ascribe anything--just in case.

During Eternity, I put "Written by: " on all the battles. Think I refrained from doing that in earlier RPGs, out of fear the writers would be attacked. Made sense at the time, I guess, but man does it suck not having proper attribution now.

MING

Postby MING » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:38 pm

A lot of them were archived in the email services I was sending them from, so I spent a day grabbing stuff I had lost. Can't remember if I sent stuff to Anastasia or not, but my memory isn't what it was. And yeah, I think during AE and Turn A, Vlad and I had competitions to see who would write more. Wasn't like I had much else to do back then, and I enjoyed writing enough (though, I'm clearly best when either writing many short battles for characters with no background information, or only a handful of longer more complex ones).

I think I pointed out in another post that Ket didn't include the "Don't make Ming your primary writer" because of how many of his games closed when I couldn't keep going.

Cid

Postby Cid » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:13 pm

I am pretty sure I was your ship captain for your stupid piratey thing. Not 100% on that, but I remember working on it with Viktor.

Sakura Fanelia
Site Admin

Postby Sakura Fanelia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Thank you for this. I'm embarrassed to say because of so little activity in the community, I'm only seeing this now and only after Cid pointed it out. I'm gonna link this forum post on the archives page.

TATARI

Postby TATARI » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:44 am

Reading some of this takes me back. I'm amazed I can still get ~30ish people for an RPG in this day and age. I hope my RPGs are considered worthy successors to the brand name.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Sakura Fanelia wrote:Thank you for this. I'm embarrassed to say because of so little activity in the community, I'm only seeing this now and only after Cid pointed it out. I'm gonna link this forum post on the archives page.

Thank you very much for the link on Meridia Island. Was a fun trip down memory lane, compiling all of that last year. Don't check in with these games nearly enough nowadays, but so glad to have the MI archives.

TATARI wrote:Reading some of this takes me back. I'm amazed I can still get ~30ish people for an RPG in this day and age. I hope my RPGs are considered worthy successors to the brand name.

Happy you've found bits and pieces worth going back to. I have some really fond memories of Future Imperfect. Never played New Era, but looking forward to seeing Rising Sun begin. Appreciate you and Vlad keeping the fires lit :).

Cid wrote:I am pretty sure I was your ship captain for your stupid piratey thing. Not 100% on that, but I remember working on it with Viktor.

Cool. Unfortunately, don't remember much else from that RPG. Only had a couple emails saved, from when Viktor and I were brainstorming the characters.

Andrew said it was okay if I uploaded his old files, so going to try and get a post with those up in the next week or two. He mentioned Century Color might be up on Meridia Island soon. Definitely looking forward to perusing. Think that was my favorite name for an All Gundam RPG ever.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:17 pm

Have Andrew’s files, and a few very small extra tidbits. Given the size of my original post, it’d be difficult to go back and edit these in, so hopefully a reply will do justice.

Andrew’s Files

I’ve spent the last hour typing and retyping this paragraph. Trying to find some way to adequately summarize Andrew’s talent, creativity and generosity in a handful of sentences. It’s an impossible task. He helped out in so many ways, on so many of my projects. Andrew is a genuinely great human being, who I’ve been lucky to know as a friend.

The first five links are for a few games he wrote, but if they ever ran, my memory fails. The Zeta RPG is self-explanatory. Era and Dead Roads were original universes he created; the former a dark fantasy setting, the latter a post-apocalyptic romp along the lines of that one Aragorn movie where things were on fire. Would have loved to play in any of the three. There are also a couple of Gundam documents he wrote, I believe around the time of Eternity.

Gundam Wing: After Era

Gundam Wing: After Era is why the After Era games existed, for a number of reasons additional to the obvious. I am in no way affiliated with their creation. Back in early 2000, I found A Cry for Stars to Fall via the now-defunct after-colony.org. It introduced me to fanfiction, and sparked an obsession with Gundam that would eventually lead me to Dyrik’s genre-eponymous RPG. GW: AE was hard to find for a number of years, but it looks like the author uploaded the chapters to fanfiction.net back in 2006.

After Era

Time to be old. Do people still use link icons? Like, the buttons and banners you’d submit to webrings and other sites to get your pages listed. Are webrings still a thing? Did those go the way of Geocities and Ryan Davis’s Natalie Portman legality countdown? These are After Era’s link buttons. The first I had in my files, and forgot about it when constructing Miscellanea. The second was preserved on the Geocities.ws archive for Gundam Mutant Pilots. Pretty sure X (or X-Divider or Double X) from AE made one. Aku may have made the other?

Signs of Gehenna/The Awakening

You can probably file this under “only interesting to Marcus”, but going to include the links because I have such fond memories of Dyrik’s World of Darkness. Little while back, I went searching for the original Beyond GT forums. No dice, sadly. I did end up on this snapshot of the SoG forums, though, which has a handful of early roleplaying posts that were actually saved.

A later snapshot also shows the name and color scheme of Dyrik’s second vampire game, The Awakening. Appropriately titled, it followed our dark ages characters into the modern nights. No real content here, but was neat for me to see.

Return to “Past and Present RPGs”